On the weekend I made this Low Carb Chocolate Birthday Cake for a friend who is on a low carb diet for health reasons. It was the best feeling ever to be able to bake her a birthday cake that she could actually eat (and that tasted like real cake!!)
She said it was just so nice to not have to miss out, like she normally does with things like this!
Everyone else absolutely loved it as well (even non low carbers!!) so I think that makes it a success 🙂
I used my cupcake mix as a base, as I was in a hurry, no time to weigh out 20 different ingredients.
Here’s the recipe:
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 1 cake / 16 slices
Low Carb Chocolate Birthday Cake
- 100g dark chocolate chopped or bits (90% Lindt is the lowest carb but only comes in a block)
- 100g cocoa powder
- 250g grated zucchini (no need to squeeze water out)
- 1 pack low carb cupcake mix
- 2T sweetener of choice
- 1 cup milk (I used almond – lowest carb)
- 4 eggs
Choc icing ingredients:
- 250g Dark chocolate of choice
- 200mls cream
- Pre heat oven to 170 deg and spray a round 20cm cake tin with oil, if concerned put a little baking paper (NOT greaseproof) down the bottom.
- In one bowl mix together: cupcake mix, sweetener, chocolate, cocoa and zucchini.
- In second bowl mix together egg and milk.
- Gently combine wet and dry mixes.
- Pour mix in tin and spread evenly.
- Bake at 170 deg for 60 mins. Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove from tin onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely in fridge before icing.
- Melt chocolate in largish microwave safe bowl.
- Remove and stir for 60 seconds to remove all lumps and also cool slightly.
- SLOWLY pour cream in a little at a time as you are using electric beaters, or a mix master. If you pour too fast the cream may curdle.
- Icing will thicken as chocolate cools!
Leave at room temp until icing – if you put in fridge will go quite hard!
Enjoy your gluten free, low carb, Chocolate BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!
I would LOVE to see your birthday cake creations so please be sure to share with me on facebook or insta @annaslowcarbkitchen Anna’s Low Carb Kitchen