Wondering how to start low carb living? The tips below are to help make the transition super simple. Regardless of your reason, these EASY steps will help you get started.
- Knowing your ‘why’? What is the reason why you are following a low carb diet? Medical reasons, weight loss, choice, convenience, or something else? This will help you stay motivated when you are faced with something that challenges you, especially if this is something very new to you. Check out our blog post on Mindset and Finding Your ‘Why’? for more info. If it is medical, it always helps to investigate why your healthcare professional chose this as an option for you. Check out related science-based articles. Reach out to support groups that will also help you stay motivated.
- Kitchen clear out! It has to be done! Not everyone’s favourite part of the process, and whilst we don’t encourage food waste at all, pass any foods that no longer suit your lifestyle to others that may enjoy it. Your neighbours, colleagues at work, friends or family members might not mind if you’re offloading some biscuits or crackers.
- Creating your Low Carb Swaps List. What low carb alternatives are you going to use to replace your carbs? What are you going to have to replace cereal, bread, cakes, rice, pasta, etc? Once you have your substitutes, the transition becomes so much easier. For example, make a batch of Low Carb Granola to replace cereal, and a loaf of Low Carb Bread for your toast and sandwiches.
Here are some Everyday Low Carb Swaps
|Carbs||Low Carb 'swaps'|
|Pasta||Zoodles, Veggie Noodles or Slendier Noodle and Pasta range.|
|Mashed Potato||Cauliflower Mash "No-tatoes"|
|Bread||Our Low Carb Bread Mix (which can also be made into rolls, focaccia, etc.) Or check out our Best Low Carb Bread in Australia blog|
|Muffins, Cakes and Slices||Our Low Carb Cupcake Mixes as the base, or our Recipes|
|Rice||Cauli-rice, Slendier rice or Lupin flakes.|
|Pancakes and Waffles||Our Low Carb Pancake Mix (which also works for fritters and savoury cookies)|
|Crackers||Our Sandwich thins recipe, Carmen’s seeded crackers or Anna’s seeded crackers recipe|
|Cereal or Porridge||Our Low Carb Granola recipe or Anna’s Porridge recipe|
|Biscuits and bars||Our Low Carb Cookie Mix and recipes|
|Sugar||Stevia, Erythritol, Xylitol or another sweetener of choice|
|Breadcrumbs||Lupin flakes, almond meal or our bread mix|
Start with 1-2 from your list, and work your way through.
- Find low carb recipes that you like, and that are easy to prepare. Check out our Recipes and download our e-book 5 Steps to Low Carb Cooking and save your favourite recipes. When you need some inspiration, you’ll have some recipe ideas ready to go. Check out Our Low Carb Baking Range, or Protein Bread Co.’s Products for your baking bases and needs. There are also many low carb recipes online.
- Writing your shopping list – Stocking your kitchen correctly is super important. You may choose to download our Low Carb Food List e-Book and create the list based on each category. Be sure to check out our Supermarket Reviews for extra product ideas.
- Do you need to meal prep? Check your containers and make sure you have the right sizes. Or perhaps you want to cook in bulk. Click here for more Meal Prep Tips. You might also find some extra tips for kitchen prep here.
- Have confidence in yourself. Take advantage of FREE resources online, online support groups and anything that motivates and empowers you.
They say that it takes 21 days for new habits to form. I believe that whilst 21 days is a good start, it’s within 1-3 months where people can really start to ‘live’ the changes. Everyone’s starting point and journeys are unique, and it’s important not to compare yourself to others, just trust the process.
Don’t forget you can always reach out to us for support if you have any questions, and share your journey with us! 😁 at email@example.com
You will also find all the recipes that were mentioned above in our RECIPES pages.