Nothing beats that smell of warm Hot Cross Buns wafting from the oven.
Break in half, add some butter to melt into that spicy, fruity goodness and it just screams Easter time!
Heaps of people have asked me for a low carb Hot Cross Bun recipe – I knew it would be a challenge, as dried fruit is so high in carbs – but nothing is impossible! I would call these LowER Carb rather than LOW.
They still have about 14g carbs per bun, however as an example the McCafe Hot Cross Bun has 45g – so these are much lower.
Please not as well, these would be described more as a fruit loaf consistency – they are not really light and fluffy. I love that they are quite dense, I find just half a bun with butter is actually enough for me! So maybe you could actually make them smaller and get more! Then the carbs per serve will really drop too.
I used our Low Carb Bread Mix as a base, because no other GF flours are this low in carbs.
I don’t like mixed citrus peel – so I didn’t include that, but you can if you like.
So here it is. My Low Carb Hot Cross Bun.
Low Carb Hot Cross Buns 🙂
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 8 Hot Cross Buns
Ingredients Hot Cross Bun
- 170g (1/2 Bag) Low Carb Bread Mix
- 1/3 cup Sultana’s (50g)
- 1/3 cup Currants (50g)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- Pinch Bi-Carb
- 3/4 cup Desiccated Coconut (70g)
- 1/2 cup Water (125ml)
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for crosses
- 1 Egg white
- 2 Tbsp Desiccated coconut
- Water to achieve runny consistency
- Preheat oven to 180 deg.
- Spray a silicon muffin tray with oil, ready for 8 hot cross buns.
- Combine bread mix, coconut, bicarb, sultanas, currents and sweetener together in a large bowl. (NOT Cinnamon/Mixed spice)
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs & water.
- Pour egg mix into the dry mix and gently stir to combine.
- Sprinkle cinnamon & mixed spice on top and fold through 3 times (this creates a swirl effect)
- Portion into the 8 sprayed muffin tins.
- Using a spatula, potato masher or anything you can find – mark each hot cross bun with a large X indent.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Whilst they are baking, prepare the topping for crosses.
- Lightly whisk together the 1 egg white and add coconut & sweetener if desired.
- When timer goes off for the hot cross buns, carefully spoon the coconut mixture into the cross marks using a teaspoon.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the crosses are very lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and tray, cool on a baking rack.
- Enjoy warm with butter or re heat later.
Enjoy your Low Carb Hot Cross Buns
They will last 5 days in fridge or 6 months in freezer. Bring to room temp or warm before eating.
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen
or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen