A few people have asked for a recipe, that’s why we decided to create Low Carb Lamingtons. Now us Low Carber’s don’t have to miss out. Lamingtons were one of my favourite cakes as a kid.
Note: This recipe has a few more steps than our other recipes. Due to the steps of making the chocolate icing, coating the cakes in chocolate and then rolling them in the coconut.
Prep and Rolling time: 30mins
Bake Time: 15-20mins (Rotating halfway for even baking)
Ingredients for the Cake
- 1 packet of Our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 250ml milk of choice (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 70g melted butter
Ingredients for Icing
- 250g melted dark chocolate (we used Lindt 90%)
- 2 TB of cream
- 80g desiccated coconut to roll the chocolate coated cakes in. But you end up using less.
Note: We poured 80g of coconut onto the plate and then rolled the cakes in. By the end you had coconut left over from the excess dusting off.
Raspberry Chia Jam Filling: You can find the recipe here but use Raspberries instead.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Prepare a square cake tin baking paper. Place dry mix into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin.
- Bake on the top shelf got 15-20 mins, rotating halfway.
- Remove from Oven and cool on cooling rack
- Once cooled completely, pop in the freezer for 1-3hrs
Melting the Chocolate and Prep to create your Lamingtons:
- Have the desiccated coconut in a flat plate to roll the cake in.
- Have a bowl and wire rack ready to catch the dripping chocolate.
- Cut the cake into even squares, should get 16 from the cake.
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave for approx 60 sec.
- While whisking, pour in 2 tb of cream and keep whisking. To create a thick runny chocolate
Method for Coating:
- Roll and coat the cake in the chocolate. Tip: Use 2 forks to help move the cake around, to make sure its all covered.
- If you are adding the jam, cut the cakes in half and pop a teasp of jam and press the cakes together before coating.
- Pop a wire rack over a bowl to allow the chocolate to drip off but not to waste it. Once dripped off.
- Roll the coated cake in the coconut and coat all sides. Repeat until whole batch is done
- Allow to set in the fridge on some baking paper
For more great Low Carb recipes, click here
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen