These heavenly little Strawberry Shortcakes are PERFECT for a Kitchen tea, baby shower or a high tea event! You would never guess they were low carb.
Prep Time: 15mins
Cook Time: 15-20mins (Rotating halfway for even baking)
Ingredients for the Cake
1 packet of Our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 2 x eggs
- 1 cup Milk of choice (we used Unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/3 cup (70g) melted butter
- 150g frozen berries (microwaved for 30 seconds and lightly mashed, leave some little chunks)
- NOTE: Leave a few full pieces of strawberries for decorating
We followed our recipe for our Strawberry Frosting (0.9g carbs added per cake)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Prepare a cupcake tin with baking paper cases (see here how to make your own) or use silicon muffin tin.
- Place dry mix into a large bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry mix well.
- Fold the mashed strawberry in gently and swirl it through the mix
- Portion the mix evenly into the 12 wrappers or silicon tray
- Bake on the top shelf got 15-20 mins, rotating halfway.
- Remove from Oven and cool on cooling rack and refrigerate before making them into ‘shortcakes’
- Once cooled, cut the cupcakes in half.
- Squeeze some icing on one side, approx ½ cm or so thick, if you do not have a piping bag, just spread it your desired thickness and add a sliced strawberry, then pop the other half on top.
Method for Icing:
- Microwave cream cheese and butter for 30 seconds so soft.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Using beaters mix all together well.
- Icing may be slightly soft, depending on how soft your cream cheese was and how big your strawberries were.
- If so refrigerate for an hour or so and it will set!
For more great Low Carb recipes, click here
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen
or post to my Facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen