This LowER Carb Christmas Pudding was created by Anna. She wanted to see if it was possible to create a Low Carb version of a traditionally high carb dessert.
An 85g piece of store bought Christmas Pudding came with a whopping 56g of carbs. Our recipe 21g per 82g – so we have more than halved the carbs. (Compared to the Woolies Gluten free Christmas Pudding)
- 1 packet of our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 1 cup chopped apricot – 140g
- 2.5 cup chopped prunes (I use scissors for this) – 500g
- 1/2 cup sultanas – 70g
- 3/4 cup coconut oil or butter 180g
- 3/4 cup brandy or favourite liquor 180g
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice & grated zest for 1 large orange
Optional – 2 eggs – this will make your pudding slightly more cake like and hold together really well. I prefer without (and without it it is actually vegan, if this is something you prefer)
- Place in microwave safe bowl – all dried fruit, orange juice, orange zest & brandy.
- Microwave for 2 minutes to soften fruit. Then add on top the coconut oil or butter and stir until melted.
- In a separate bowl combine Cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice & cake mix.
- Pour fruit mix into dry cake mix and combine.
- Spray a 1.5-2L microwave safe bowl with oil. Pour in pudding mix and even out.
- Place a lid or plate over the top.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes on medium power.
- Let cool in bowl for 15 mins then use a spatula to loosen from edges and turn out pudding.
- Serve with custard. (we used Paul’s 30% less sugar) or you could make your own.