These Orange, Almond & Chia Muffins have the added nutrition of Chia seeds, which are a complete protein and include all 9 essential amino acids, as well as adding a texture similar to an Orange and Poppy seed cake.
Note: This recipe can be made Vegan by using a non dairy substitute for the milk and yogurt, and coconut oil instead of butter.
- 1 Packet of our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 1tsp baking powder
- 120g chopped or slivered almonds
- 1 large orange (for Zest and juice)
- Juice from one large orange (approx 50ml)
- 60g melted butter / or coconut oil
- 200g plain or coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup (50g) chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 170 deg.
- Combine chia seeds, yoghurt, orange juice, orange rind & milk in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes whilst you prepare the rest.
- In a separate bowl combine cupcake mix & almonds.
- Prepare muffin tin with 12 large patty cases/muffin wrappers. Liberally spray with oil to prevent sticking.
- Add melted butter or coconut oil to the yoghurt chia mix and then pour these wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold gently until just combined.
- Portion into 12 patty cases.
- Baking for 30 minutes.
*Optional – Yoghurt Glaze (Optional)
- 2 heaped tablespoon of plain or coconut yoghurt and 2 heaped tablespoon of Anna’s Low Carb Icing Mix – stir until combined
- Once Muffins are cooled drizzle yoghurt glaze over the top and decorate with Almonds or Orange Zest!
For more great Low Carb recipes, click here
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen