These beautiful orange cupcakes are a mix between a cupcake and a friand.
They are such a tasty afternoon snack during the week or great for a high tea or party on the weekend.
Teamed with a beautiful coffee – they also make for the perfect morning tea break at work.
Which ever way you decide to enjoy them, these Orange Cupcakes are sure to delight.
Normally Orange Cakes are made using the whole orange boiled then blended, and because of this whole orange the carb content is quite high (not to mention the sugar and flour!!)
I only used the rind of the orange – really finely grated, to produce that beautiful citrus flavour with no carbs. Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like orange peel as I don’t like that either.
UPDATE: 15th Feb 2016
After receiving feedback from our great followers – we have retested this recipe with just 150g of butter and are pleased to announce they taste amazing and are now lower in fat than the original recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Carbs per serve: 2.3g
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 24 cupcakes or 12 muffins
Orange Cupcake Ingredients
- 3 Eggs
- 150g Butter
- 100g Yoghurt
- 100g Low Carb Pancake Mix
- 120g Almond Meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Natvia or Sweetener
- Finely grated rind from 1.5 Oranges
- 250g Tub Cream Cheese
- 50g Butter
- 50g Natvia Baking Mix or 2T of sweetener of choice
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Finely grated rind from half an orange
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees and prepare 24 small cupcake or 12 large muffin tins with cases
- In a large mixing bowl using electric beaters – cream the butter, Sweetener, Eggs, Orange Rind and then add yoghurt.
- Gently fold in all other dry ingredients
- Using a spoon mix together all ingredients until well combined
- Using 2 Tablespoons portion out the mix into the cases
- Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes (if larger muffins you may need another 10 minutes after this)
- Take cupcakes out and let cool completely before icing
- Make sure cupcakes are completely cool (preferably chilled) before icing – otherwise your icing will MELT!
- In a large bowl place soft cream cheese (should be at room temp), soft butter, rind and Natvia Icing Mix
- Using electric beaters whisk until well combined and creamy
- Add the milk if required to achieve the spreadable consistency.
These cupcakes can be enjoyed for up to 5 days if refrigerated.
Cupcakes can be frozen un iced for up to 6 months.
Another great suggestion is to add 100g chopped dark chocolate to make Choc Orange Muffins.
If you enjoy my recipes and think your friends would as well – please like my facebook page and share it with them!