I came across a French and Danish variation of butter cookies whilst trying to come up with a low carb shortbread cookie recipe.
My version was inspired by these recipes, but with a fraction of the sugar. These butter cookies are sweet, buttery and only 1g of carbs per cookie!!!
- 200g almond meal
- 60g our Low Carb Pancake Mix
- 75g our Low Carb Icing Mix
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g softened butter (not melted)
- 1 egg.
Makes 20 cookies
- Preheat Oven to 150 degrees and line a baking tray
- Using an electric beater, whip the softened butter, vanilla and icing mix together until light and fluffy.
- Combine the almond meal, pancake mix and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub the dry mix with the butter mix (the best way is to use your hands)
- Add the egg and combine this well.
- Roll the dough into even shaped balls and press with a fork to flatten slightly (pick the thickness you like)
- Bake for 20-25mins or until they are golden. They will be soft when you remove them, so be gentle. The cookies will firm up as they cool.
- They firm up even more and get sweeter when refrigerated overnight.
- Will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Can be frozen.
- Make them thinner, and bake slightly longer for a snappier cookie, which could be used as a “low carb shortbread” and can be used as a base for a cheesecake.
- This is also a great base to add other flavours too. Add essences, citrus zest, chopped nuts, dried fruit or chocolate.