This recipe was inspired by Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
This would be more of an indulgent peanut-buttery-chocolaty treat for me, rather than an everyday cupcake. 😬
- 1 packet of Our Low Carb Chocolate Cupcake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) of milk of choice
- 1/3 cup (70g) of melted butter or coconut oil
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Filling and Chocolate Icing
- 250g cream cheese (used for the filling and icing)
- 125g (1/2 cup) crunchy peanut butter
- Our Low Carb Icing Mix
- 40g cocoa powder (icing)
- 50g Lindt 90% (icing)
I followed Anna’s recipe for Easy Chocolate icing recipe and grated dark chocolate on top – optional but so worth it (if you follow Brooke’s microwave tip)
Method for Peanut Butter Filling – This needs to be done ahead of time.
- In a bowl soften 125g (1/2 the block of cream cheese) in the microwave (approx 30-50secs)
- Pour in 125ml (1/2 cup) of Peanut Butter of choice
- Add ALCK icing mix to taste – I added 3 TB
- add 1 TB water and use an electric beater to combine the mix.
- It should form a consistency that you can roll.
- Roll into 12 balls, and pop in the freezer for 2 hrs or more.
Method for Cupcakes
- Bake as per packet. Spoon the cupcake mix evenly into the sprayed patty cake cases and push the frozen peanut butter balls into the mix.
- Bake as per packet, and remove from oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Simply spread the chocolate icing on top, and sprinkle the grated chocolate on top.
Brooke’s Serving suggestion
Pop in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and this will melt the shaved chocolate on the top and you will have a warm peanut buttery centre.
- Will keep in the fridge for up for 5 days. Can be frozen for up to a month (as they are iced) – thaw out in the fridge overnight when needed.
- Heat in the microwave once thawed for 30 secs to serve.