Comfort food without the carbs. Creamy baked chicken with sundried tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, cauliflower, or any veg you like) is perfect for those wintery nights.😋
Here’s a VERY EASY and DELICIOUS and LOW CARB dinner meal that can easily be made ahead and warmed up, or whipped together for a quick mid-week meal. You make this dairy free by replacing the cream with coconut milk and butter with olive oil or coconut oil and leaving out the parmesan.
- 4 chicken legs or thighs (approx 500g)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of salt and crack of pepper to taste
- Pinch of chilli and dried herbs to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or olive oil or coconut oil)
- 1 cup cream (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup parmesan (leave out if going dairy-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes), chopped
- 100g fresh or frozen kale or spinach
- Any other veggies you like, such as eggplant, cauliflower or mushrooms (optional)
- Fresh herbs to serve such as parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken. In a heated skillet or pan, brown the chicken on both sides with the butter or oil.
- The chicken won’t be cooked through but it will be browned on the outside. Pop the chicken into a baking dish and leave the pan on the stove.
- Add the chopped garlic and sundried tomatoes to the pan and cook or a minute or two.
- Add in the cream to the pan and throw in some kale or spinach. I use it frozen straight from the freezer for convenience, but do whatever works for you.
- Add a pinch of salt, a crack of pepper, and some chilli and dried herbs of your choice if you wish (such as mixed herbs, rosemary, parsley, thyme). Allow this to simmer for 5 mins.
- Grate in parmesan and stir through to thicken the sauce.
- Turn heat off and pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Pop into the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is bubbling.
- Serve with cauliflower mash, zucchetti, cauliflower “rice” or your favourite steamed low carb veggies.
- You can make this dairy free by replacing the cream with coconut milk and butter with olive oil or coconut oil and eliminating the parmesan cheese.
- It’s also delicious with a handful of chopped mushrooms, or try adding in eggplant or cauliflower.
- You can also replace the sundried tomatoes with chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes.
- You can also reduce the fat by switching to Low-fat cream.