Schools out and there’s always some little hungry tummies about! These fishy fishy cupcakes are perfect for a fun kid friendly baking session. We have put together some easy cupcake decorating ideas with our healthy baking mixes, for your little mini bakers!!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15-20mins (Rotating halfway for even baking)
- 1 packet of Our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix (you could also make these in our Low Carb Chocolate Cupcake Mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 70g melted butter or coconut oil
(we used our Low Carb Icing Mix)
- 1/3 cup (75g) Low Carb Icing Mix ( 12 cupcakes)
- 125g cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter (40g)
- 1tsp water (10ml)
- Food colouring of your choice (we used blue and yellow)
- 35g tube of Mini M&M’s
- Mini marshmallows (for the eyes)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (adult help needed).
- Prepare a cupcake tin with baking paper cases/ or use a silicon baking tray.
- Place dry mix into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry mix well and spoon into the cupcake cases.
- Bake on the top shelf for 15-20 mins, rotating halfway(adult help needed).
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack (adult help needed) .
- Once cooled completely, you can ice.
*We recommend chilling these in the fridge or freezer for at least 2 hours prior to icing.
- Prepare butter and cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds (adult help needed).
- Place soft butter and cream cheese in large bowl, add icing mixture. Using an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy.
- Split icing into seperate bowls, if multiple colours desired. Add food colouring and mix until combined.
- Prepare all toppings and icing for easy reach for those little hands.
- We recommend using spoons to spread icing instead of knifes for extra safety.
- Our fishy google eyes were created using half a mini marshmallow and a dot of food colouring (dip a toothpick into food colouring bottle and use like a paint brush for easy & mess free application of the dye). If you have young children this may be an adult job to prepare.
- Our M&M’s were placed on top of one half of the cupcake to resemble fishy scales.
- Remember theres no right way, there are many fish in the sea, and they all look different.
For more great Low Carb recipes, click here
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen