Yum! Nothing beats an Apple and Rhubarb Crumble with custard as a dessert. Especially as it gets cooler. This family favourite dessert is usually packed with a lot of sugar and is quite carb heavy. Anna came up with this low carb version.
Low Carb Apple Crumble Nutrition
- 1 bunch Rhubarb (after chopping off leaves this was 350g)
- 1 Apple
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Natvia (if you like sweet – I found the sweetness from Apple was perfect)
Ingredients for crumble
- 100g chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are best)
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 50g Lupin flakes
- 50g Almond Meal
- 100g shredded coconut (for this recipe shredded is way better than desiccated)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil OR 100g melted butter
- 1/3 cup SF maple (Can use 2T honey if preferred – but this will increase the carbs up to around 9g/serve)
- 1 heaped teaspoon cinnamon
- I cooked the rhubarb in microwave with 1 cup water for 10 minutes then drained. You could also cook in a pan the same time.
- Place drained rhubarb in a crockery pie/baking dish.
- Chop Apple (I left skin on) and sprinkle over rhubarb. Sprinkle on top cinnamon and Natvia.
Low Carb Granola method:
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk together oil/butter and maple and pour over top.
- Mix really well then spoon over top of Rhubarb & Apple. (I had heaps more I piled on after photo – wanted to show the apple & Rhubarb part as well!)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 160 deg.
- Enjoy with whipped cream, yogurt or home made custard!
Lets us know how you go!
I’d love to see your photos – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen
or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen