Super CHEESY Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake – Inspired by Mac n Cheese, not-so-much Mac, but PLENTY of cheese.
Perfect for a cold Winters night. Hot and Bubbly! Straight from the oven, best served immediately.
Cook Time: 10 mins for sauce and veggies + 15 -20 minutes to Bake
Serves: 4 or 3 larger portions.
- 1 x bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix 500g (can use fresh, I went for convenience)
- 1 Tb butter
- 100ml (milk of choice)
- 60g cream cheese
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- A few shakes of garlic powder (didn’t really measure that)
- 2 handfuls of cheddar cheese (approx 80g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 20g Lupin Flakes and 20g parmesan
- Chives to garnish.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees
- In a medium sized pot, with a little olive oil cook the cauliflower and broccoli for about 5-10mins (until soft) and set aside.
- Using the same pot, melt butter over a medium heat. Gradually whisk in the 100ml milk, and cook, whisking constantly, for about 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese, Dijon and garlic powder until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 amount of cheese until melted, about 1-2 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more a little more milk, then add the other half of the cheese and stir to melt, season with salt and pepper to taste. (should be nice and creamy)
- Stir in the veggies; gently toss to combine and transfer to a oven safe dish or lined tray ( I used a lined brownie tray) Sprinkle with a little shredded cheese, a mix of lupin flakes, parmesan cheese and dried herbs
- Place into oven and bake for 15- 20mins or until bubbly. Garnish with chives before serving.
- Add leftover BBQ chicken or cooked bacon into the mix when combining the cheese and veggies.
- Bake in lined muffin tin for cheesy bites for a nibbles and wine night.
Options: You can use Low Fat Cheese for some of this. It will drop the fat, but the carbs may slightly increase.
I’d love to see your creations – tag me @annaslowcarbkitchen
or post to my facebook page www.facebook.com/Annaslowcarbkitchen