This LowER Carb Christmas cake keeps very well. Its super fruit, spicy and studded with almonds. You can use sherry instead of brandy if you prefer, it changes the taste a little.
All the flavours of Christmas, with less than half the carbs per slice.
- 1/2 (110g) a packet of our Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 1/2 cup chopped apricot – 70g
- 1 1/4 cup chopped prunes (I use scissors for this) – 250g
- 1/4 cup sultanas – 35g
- 1/3 (just over) cup coconut oil or butter 90g
- 1/3 cup (just over) brandy or favourite liquor 90ml
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice & grated zest of 1/2 a large orange
- 1 egg
- 30g blanched almonds for decoration
NOTE: You could double the recipe and use a larger cake tin 25cm.
- Preheat oven for 170 degrees
- Place in microwave safe bowl – all dried fruit, orange juice, orange zest & brandy.
- Microwave for 2 minutes to soften fruit. Then add on top the coconut oil or butter and stir until melted.
- In a separate bowl combine Cinnamon, nutmeg, mixed spice & cake mix.
- Add the egg to the fruit mix and combine
- Pour fruit mix into dry cake mix and combine.
- Pop the mixture into a lined small cake tin (18cm)
- Smooth out cake and decorate with blanched almonds
- Bake for 60mins at 170 deg. Check with skewer. If needs more cooking cover with foil to prevent further browning of the top
- Serve with custard. (we used Paul’s 30% less sugar) or you could make your own.