Updated Jan 2018
Almond milk has recently become quite trendy, with many people switching from cows or soy to almond, which they assume is more healthy.
We tried to find options that were not only low in carb, but ones that had more almonds, which in all honesty was difficult.
It’s a great option, if for whatever reason you are trying to avoid soy – as it has a similar nutty flavour, but is not quite as creamy. Some are better than others, so we put together some of the Best Low Carb Almond milks found in the supermarkets.
Our criteria 3g of carbs or less per 100ml
Our Top Pick!
Australia’s Own Unsweetened Almond Milk
Filtered Australian Water, Organic Almonds (3%), Organic Sunflower Oil, Salt.
Carbs per 100ml: 0.1g
- Short ingredient list, which is a big plus. 🙂
- We use this a lot in our baking.
- This brand have a refrigerated option too (I saw this in Woolies only)
Califia Farms – Unsweetened Almond milk
Water, Almonds (2.3%), emulsifier, sea salt, natural flavours, acidity regulator, flavouring, stabilsers
Carbs per 100ml: 0.2g
- Found this one in Coles.
- Refrigerated option.
Vitasoy Almond Milk
Water, whole Almonds (3.8%), mineral, emulsifier, sea salt, natural flavours, vegetable gum
Carbs per 100ml: 0.3g
- This brand has come down in carbs. was 0.6g I can also see that they have increased the % of almonds from our last review.
- Comes in refrigerated form too – found that in Coles.
Inside Out Nutrition – Almond Milk
Filtered water, Activated almonds 11%, vegetable gum, sea salt
Carbs per 100ml: 0.4g
- We love this brand. 😀 yay its finally available in Woolies.
- Highest amount of almonds 11% – However is at a higher cost than the others. I am guessing this is due to the quality of ingredients and methods involved in the process. Works well in coffee.
- This brand have a range of flavoured almond milks. Salted Caramel is my favourite.
Woolworths Almond Milk – Unsweetened.
Water, Ground Almonds 2.5%, Natural vanilla Flavour, stabilisers, Mineral salt, Sea salt, Vegetable emulsifiers and sunflower lecithin.
Carbs per 100ml: 0.6g
- Low in carbs, supermarket brand.
Coles – Almond Milk Unsweetened.
Water, Almonds (2.5%), tapioca starch, natural vanilla flavouring, mineral salt, vegetable emulsifier, salt, vegetable gums
Carbs per 100ml: less than 1g
- Coles have changed the packaging since our last review (June last year)
- same ingredients they have just changed how they show the carbs now show less than 1g, in place of 0.6g
Inner Goodness Almond milk
Water, Ground Almonds 2.5%, Natural vanilla Flavour, stabilisers, Mineral salt, Vegetable gums, anti caking agent
Carbs per 100ml: 0.6g
- Found in Aldi – similar to Woolies brand.
Almond Breeze Almond Milk – Unsweetened.
Filtered water, ground whole almonds, calcium carbonate, tapioca starch, sea salt, carrageenan, sunflower lecithin, natural flavour.
Carbs per 100ml: 0.7g
- No added sweeteners, so is naturally lower in carbs.
There has been some talk about Carrageenan not agreeing with some people’s tummies, however I have always been fine with it. It actually comes from a seaweed! Another super low option.
**Interestingly, these guys also do a barista blend, which most cafe’s use as their Almond Milk option and it is absolutely amazing. Makes the most creamy coffees which are perfect as an afternoon snack.**
PureHarvest Almond Unsweetened Original
Filtered Australian Water, Organic activated Almonds (7%), Organic Brown Rice, Sea Salt and Natural almond essence.
Carbs per 100ml: 2.6g
- This milk is the highest of the bunch, but it also has higher % of almonds and one of the shortest ingredient lists.
You could also make your own, there are a few easy to follow recipes online. We didn’t include them, as we did not test any. If you try out any homemade recipes, please share your experience below. 😀
For more Low carb Supermarket finds, click here