A staple in many households and a standard on steaks, sausages and pizzas everywhere.
But what’s actually in BBQ sauce – and should you be eating it if you’re following a low carb lifestyle?
Typically BBQ Sauce is very high in sugar and has been off limits, however the good news is that there are now some acceptable options!
Our criteria 10g carbs or less per 100ml
Our Top Pick!
Fountain – BBQ Sugar Free
Fruit puree (water, tomato paste, apple paste), water, apple juice concentrate, thickener, Natvia Sweetner, food acids, salt, colour, onion, vegetable gum, spices and natural flavours.
Carbs per 100ml: 9.0g
- Can’t really notice the difference, tastes very much like the regular Fountain BBQ sauce.
- Gluten free
Tabasco – Chipotle
Chipotle peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, spices, natural flavour, Tabasco Brand Pepper Pulp (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt).
Carbs per 100ml: 10g
- My all time favourite BBQ Sauce option – and it is slightly on the HOT side is a new variety from Tabasco – Chipotle – It has amazing Smokey BBQ Flavour.
- Great for people that like spicy food and if you aren’t a fan of ‘diet’ type sauces.
- Found in Woolies only.
Celebrate Health (GF)
Water, tomato paste, vinegar, carrot juice concentrate, corn starch, salt, natural colour, onion powder, natural Worcestershire sauce flavour, spices, natural sweetner, natural smoke flavour and spice extracts.
Carbs per 100ml: 10.4g
- Gluten free
- It has a slightly more sweeter taste.
Tomatoes, malt vinegar, molasses, glucose-fructose syrup, spirit vinegar, sugar, dates, maize thickener, rye flour, salt, spices, flavours, tamarind extract.
Carbs per 100ml: 32g
- Definitely NOT LOW CARB – I only included this as a comparison, and because it is the LOWEST non-diet type BBQ sauce I could find. Most of them sat at 40-65g of carbs per 100ml. Super high.
This seems to be a staple for anyone that is from the UK – and yes that smokey BBQ flavour is amazing. Probably best avoided for low carb living, but if you love it, maybe as a treat every now and then. 🙂
Updated April 2018
**Please note information was accurate at the time of collecting. If changes are made to the brand (packaging or nutrition) within our updates, please refer to their website. Changes may occur regarding their availability, please check with your local supermarket for more info.
For more Low carb Supermarket finds, click here