Nothing beats a good BBQ – nice meat, a few drinks and some beautiful salads.
When it comes to Sausages however you have to be really careful. Many are packed with fillers that really increase the carb content and are no good for you at all.
If you are following a Gluten Free diet you really need to watch this as well, as lots of the fillers are starch-based and not Gluten Free.
Our criteria – 3g or less carbs per 100g and 80% or more meat
Our Top Pick!
Australian Beef 87%, Water, Rice flour, Sea salt, dehydrated vegetables, Sugar, mineral salt,, bush tomato, preservatives, pepper, Rosemary extract, natural pork casing.
Carbs per 100g: 0.9g
Meat %: 87%
- These are the highest in meat % and the Lowest in carbs
- Found in Coles.
- Even though there is sugar listed, it cant be that much, as the carbs are super low.
Coles Finest Angus Beef Hot Links
Angus Beef 81%, water, potato starch, smoke flavour, rice flour, salt, spices, dehydrated red capsicum, garlic powder, spices extracts, rosemary, natural pork casing.
Carbs per 100g: less than 1g
Meat %: 81%
- These weren’t ‘hot’ as the name suggests, milder if anything.
- I was super impressed with how low carb they were.
Woolworths Beef Chevaps (ok not really sausages)
Australian Beef (88%), Water, Rice flour, salt, dehydrated garlic, mineral salt, acidity regulators, spices (chilli and pepper), preservatives, tapioca, canola oil, paprika and fermented red rice.
Carbs per 100g <1.0g
Meat % 88%
Ok, not really sausages I get it. But considering that Cleavers and Beak and Son’s have tweaked their ranges, I thought these were still a good mention. They are super low in carbs and gluten-free. 😀
Organic Beef (81%), organic carrot, water, organic sauteed onion Organic tapioca starch (organic onion, rendered organic grass-fed beef fat), Australian sea salt, organic garlic, organic black pepper, natural casing (hog).
Carbs per 100g: 3.4g
Meat %: 81%
- I LOVE Cleavers 🙂 Such a clean ingredient list and 81% Beef. The only extras they include in their products are veggies, salt & pepper.
- They also do some great Burger Patties and Meatballs.
- These used to be 1.3g carbs per 100g, they have added tapioca starch and the carbs have increased. However, Woolies website still list the old info. Their Traditional sausages are no longer available.
They taste amazing and it’s so nice to be able to totally enjoy them without worrying about what you’re eating.
**NOTE: Beak and Sons and Cleavers have changed their ranges slightly. They have removed a few options and brought out other meats (pork/ chicken or lamb combinations)
Updated April 2018
**Please note information was accurate at the time of collecting. If changes are made to the brand (packaging or nutrition) within our updates, please refer to their website. Changes may occur regarding their availability, please check with your local supermarket for more info.
For more Low carb Supermarket finds, click here